Tomorrow is Groundhog Day. So, as a Mad Crochet Scientist, I’ve done exhaustive research (a few minutes using Google image search online) and learned that groundhogs and beavers look a LOT alike. Obviously their tails are quite different but their faces are quite similar and in fact, I saw more images with the teeth of the groundhog showing than I did with beavers. So, my resulting pattern for a groundhog finger puppet could also be a beaver finger puppet. But in honor of Groundhog Day tomorrow, I shall name this the Groundhog Finger Puppet so that finally YOU can be in control of whether he sees his shadow or not.
Groundhog Finger Puppet
This pattern is my property and is not to be copied or reposted. It should remain free and finished objects made from it may be sold. Credit must be given to me as the designer. U.S. crochet terms used throughout. This pattern has not been tested so please feel free to contact me if you have any issues.
Copyright 2015 Author: Tina Le Page – Mad Crochet Lab, All rights reserved
Materials Needed for This Experiment
Size F and Size G Crochet Hooks
Worsted Weight Yarns in brown, beige, dark brown
Eyelash Yarn in Green or Worsted in Green for Grass
Safety Eyes (9mm) or Black Fabric Paint to Make Eyes
White felt, embroidery floss or fabric paint for teeth
Small Amount Polyester Fiberfill or yarn scraps for stuffing
With F Hook and Beige,
1. Make 6 SC in Adjustable Ring. Change to Brown.
2. *SC 2, INC (repeat from * around) = 8
3. SC around = 8
4. *SC 1, INC (repeat from * around) = 12
5. INC 3 times, SC in remainder = 15
6-7. SC around = 15, Insert safety eyes if using. They should be inserted about 3 stitches apart in row 5 or 6 where increases happen. If you aren’t sure – you can fold the head flat in a few different areas until you can see where the increases happen on the head by noticing the shape.
8. *SC 3, INV DEC (repeat from * around) = 12. Stuff head.
9. INV DEC around = 6. Finish off, hide tail inside head.
1. CH 12, join with SC to first chain to form loop, and SC in last 11.
2-10. SC around = 12
11. *SC 2, DEC (repeat from * around) = 9
12. SC around = 9. Finish off, leaving a tail for sewing.
Ears (Make 2)
With F Hook and Beige,
1. Make 4 SC in an adjustable ring, finish off and gather tightly.
Arms (Make 2)
With F Hook and Brown,
1. CH 2. Make 3 SC in 2nd CH from hook.
2-6. SC around = 3. Finish off.
With G Hook and Dark Brown,
1. CH 15, join with SC in 1st CH to form loop and SC in remaining = 15.
2. SC around. Change to Green.
3. *SC 4, INC (repeat from * around) = 18
4. INC in each stitch around = 36. Finish off. When working in rounds, eyelash yarns tend to be bushier on the inside so turn your work inside out and hide tails on the other side if desired.
Pin head at an angle to Round 12 of Body and use tail from Body to sew on.
Pin ears to head 2 rounds behind eyes and use tails to sew in place.
Pin arms to about round 10 of Body at shoulders on either side of head and use tails from arms to sew in place.
Cut small square of white felt and sew or glue in place for teeth. Use fabric paint for eyes if not using safety eyes. Use fabric paint or embroidery floss to create nose. Use fabric paint or black embroidery floss to make a line on teeth.
Thread beige yarn into tapestry needle and take a stitch above each eye at a slight slant.
Insert bottom of finger puppet into Groundhog Hole and have fun!